The term social media refers to the different types media that that are available on the Web for information disaplay and exchange. It depends on interactions between people using technology as a conduit.
- forums / message boards
- instant messaging / email
- pictures/photo sharing
The term social network commonly refers to an online community that shares common interest or is connected in some way.
- Commonly used social media applications are:
- Google Groups (social network)
- Wikipedia (wiki)
- MySpace (social networking) / Facebook (social network)
- YouTube (social network and video sharing)
- Flickr (photo sharing)
- Twitter (social network and microblogging)